Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sept. 8, 2010 - Azorfa to Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Woke up at 7:10. Can´t believe I slept so long and so soundly. It was very dark and very quiet. Rachelle, my room mate has to take a day off. She went to the Pharmacia yesterday because her knee was pretty swollen. They said no walking for 2 days.

It will be a short day for me (16 km ). Only going as far as Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Quite cool today, makes for easier walking.

Took a one hour break in Cirinuela with Stephan1 & Stephan2. The more modern village seemed like a ghost town. Just about every house was for sale. Due to hard economic times these new houses are not selling.

Arrived in Santo Domingo de la Cazada around 12:30. We are staying at a monastery that was built in 1610. The Chaplains house is where the pilgrims sleep.

After a little snooze, shower, and washing clothes I took a stroll to the cathedral that housed the famous chickens. The Cathedral, built in 1098 was quite impressive, it has several chapels. I then actually paid an extra € to climb to the top of the 243 foot tower (with each step I thought ¨what on earth possessed me to do this!¨). Can´t even say the view was worth it because I just saw the same thing that I saw when I was walking all morning!

Went to vespers at 6:30 (sung by the cistersion nuns), went to mass at 7:00 and to bed by 8:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment