Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sept. 14, 2010 - Rabe de las Calzada to Castrojeriz

Woke up at 4:30 and could not go back to sleep. Finally got up at 5:30 and was ready to go by 6:00, however signed up for breakfast at 6:30 so actually didn´t get on the road till 6:45.

Walked with George from India for about the first half hour. He wanted to know if I wanted to say the Rosary with him. Told him I wasn´t Catholic and I didn´t know it. He then wanted to know if I knew any songs to sing. Told him I could sing them in my head but when I opened my mouth to let the words out, it didn´t sound anything like what the song was suppose to. So I just said the words to ¨How Great Thou Art¨. That is the song that goes through my head in the morning when I leave before the sun comes up because there is one particular star in the sky that is so bright that you can still see it long after the other stars are gone. So the words ¨I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, thy power through out the universe displayed ...¨. The only other song that keeps going through my head is ¨I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more....¨ by the Proclaimers - not quite what he had in mind.

Anyway, George had a sore leg and was walking pretty slow so I said ¨Buen Camino¨ and left him to sing by himself.

I walked about 18 km to Hontanas. It was only 11:00 and I thought it was way to early to stop. When I walked around the corner I saw Stephan2 sitting at the bar. I got a cafe con leche and joined him. We decided to walk on to the next village (9 km).

He is pretty tall and takes 1 step to my 2, so he reached Castrojeriz long before I did. The albergue he is staying at was full when I got there so I am staying in the camping albergue which looks like a gigantic shed that has 18 bunk beds. It is ok, but I think it will be pretty cold tonight.

Will meet Stephan2 at the Plaza Mayor at 7:00 to look for a place to have dinner.

We had dinner with Jessica & Randle, a couple from Australia. It was fun. After a couple hours we hobbled out of there (Jessica called it ¨The Camino shuffle¨). Jessica & Randle were staying at the same place I was, which is a good thing because it was at least a kilometer back to camp and it was dark out. I still hadn´t taken in my laundry so I was groping around in the dark, also the lights in the shed were already out so it was a challenge getting ready for bed without making any noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment