Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sept. 22, 2010 - Leon to Villadangos del Paramo

Didn´t get away from Leon till 9:00. That is late. I felt like I should have been 10 km down the road. It felt good to be walking and once again in camino world.

I am glad I stayed at the parador. It was very interesting and a good experience. I thought about it quite a lot as I walked. Last night (around 9:00) I was sitting in the lounge sipping wine, eating calamarie, listening to soft relaxing music, and watching the people come and go. They didn´t look anything like the pilgrims I had been spending my evenings with for the past 3 weeks (all good pilgrims would probably have been in bed). From the looks I was getting from the other hotel guests, it was obvious I really didn´t belong there in my walking clothes and flip flops (that didn´t stop me from enjoying it though).

I had read somewhere that pilgrims are to detach from the material world. I have definitely experienced that in the last 3 weeks, however, I am having a hard time letting go of the material comforts. The contrast between sleeping a house made of mud and straw to staying in a luxurious parador boggles the mind. It is interesting to note though, that in the mud and straw house there was much laughter and camaraderie, more excepting of the people around you (even those that snored). At the Parador everyone looked so sad and preoccupied. I did not talk to one single person other than the waitress who was not very friendly and only talked to me because she had to.

I thought, how is it that this place which was originally built as a refuge for paupers and pilgrims in need was turned into a place for only the wealthy and elite?

Walked 19 km to Villadangos del Paramo. Arrived around 2:00. After showering and sitting for awhile I wished I would have gone further.

No comments:

Post a Comment