Monday, September 13, 2010

Sept. 10, 2010 - Belorado to Villafranca Montes de Oca

Was up by 6:00 and gone by 6:30. It was dark so I followed a group of people who looked like they knew where they were going. After about 45 minutes it was getting light. I got an awful feeling that something was not right. Came to a turn in the road and there was no marker. We all stopped (there were about 10 of us). There was only 1 guy and 2 other girls who spoke English. The 2 girls turned around and started going back. I was undecided. They guy who spoke English said I should stay with them, at least that way we would all be lost together. That did not make me feel better. I decided to turn back, they kept going. 45 minutes later (8:00) I was right back where I started at 6:30. I saw right away where we made the wrong turn. I carried on but only went 12 km. I was tired and discouraged.

I beat myself up all the way, I should have known better than to just follow. Finally once I reached Villafranca Montes de Oca I told myself to let it go. I need to slow down and if I don´t finish it is ok. I need to just pay more attention to what is around me and not just get from one place to another. Got a bed in a Hotel that had a section for pilgrims. It is very nice. Showered, washed clothes, and walked around town. Am now sitting on the hotel patio that is encased in stone walls and has a large beautiful garden. Chatted with a lady and her daughter from Denmark, a lady from Californica and a lady from Ottawa. We talked for quite awhile about our reasons for doing the Camino and where we came from.

In spite of my ¨not so great¨ morning, I am feeling very relaxed and am glad I ended up here. Actually feel like I am on holiday´s in a resort.

Two guys from New Zealand joined us, Bruce & Don. They have already been walking 25 days (from Le Puy in France). They took a train part of the way because they are meeting up with Don´s wife in Burgos. They were quite entertaining with their stories about their experiences in France. They walk between 30-40 km  a day (both guys are in their mid 60´s).

Visited the church and just sat for awhile. They had an amazingly huge shell for the baptismal font.

Dinner was fun (mother & daughter from Denmark, lady from California, 2 guys from New Zealand). The hotel dining room was very classy (Louis Armstrong was the background music - ¨It´s  A Beautiful World¨)

Was a good day. 9:00 to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment