Monday, September 13, 2010

Sept. 11, 2010 - Villafranca Montes de Oca to Atapeurca

Had a good night´s sleep, have grown accustomed to the snoring and it no longer keeps me awake. Slept soundly till 7:00, was on the road by 7:15. Enjoyed the walk up the mountain in spite of the 2 km steep incline. Took 2 hours 45 min. to do the 12 km to San Juan de Ortega. Took a 45 min. break, sat in the chapel for a while that was built in the 12th century. The sculptures, carvings, paintings and architecture are incredibly beautiful. Can´t help but think about what it cost to build and maintain these cathedrals.

Walked for an hour (4 km) to Ages and stopped for a cafe Americana, it was a nice treat, tasted just like regular coffee from the Human Bean.

Walked another 2 km to Atapuerca and decided to stop (about 12:00). Only did 18 km today. Figured out that if I am going to make it to Finistair in 40 days I will have to start averaging about 22 km a day (I know, I have already concluded that it is about the journey, not whether or not I get there and how long it takes).

Spent the afternoon with Bruce and Don. Went to an archaeological museum. Apparently, very close to here they  found human remains that are 800,000 years old.

Ate dinner with Nichole from Germany, Anna, Karen & Monica from Sweden.

It was a good day. Want to leave tomorrow by 6:00. Don said he will wake me at 5:00. I will start with them but if I cannot keep up they can go on ahead. We want to get to Burgos for 12:00 Mass at the cathedral - it´s about 25 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment