Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sept. 2, 2010 - Cizur Menor to Puente la Reina

Had a good sleep (in spite of the fact that women also snore). Heard the church bells ringing around 5 a.m. Got up shortly after and was on the road by 6:15.

Left with Hari from Finland. Walked with him for about 3 hours. He wouldn´t stop talking. It was very energy draining. We walked past a long row of windmills. He talked for about an hour about wind power, nuclear power, solar power and how he thought maybe they should experiment with water power. That was enough for me. I told him I enjoyed his company but I really needed to go on alone.

There was a light rain for most of the morning, but wasn´t to bad for walking. Stopped for a short break at Uterga with the Australian couple whose names I now know are Diane and Shane. They have been together for 29 years and are both retired military. Also at our table was Christine and her husband from California. The husband (didn´t get his name) had a huge black eye and cut on his forehead. In Pamplona yesterday he tripped over a curb. Couldn´t get his balance because of his heavy pack and fell head first into the curb (says he is telling people it happened at the bar last night).

Took the 3 km detour to see the church at Eunate. It was worth the additional 6 km! It was much smaller than I thought it would be. According to my guide book, it´s octagon shape suggests it is linked to the Knights Templar, one of the earliest Christian military orders that was formed to protect pilgrims on their journeys. While I was there a group of people came and sat in the pews. They started singing in Latin-Spanish (I´m not sure which). The acoustics were unbelievable. It sent shivers down my spine. A girl standing close to me started crying. It was really something that is hard to describe with words (for me anyway).

Got to Puente la Reina at 2:15. Walked for eight hours taking only about 1 hour break total. I was exhausted. Had to lie down before I could even take a shower. Found a Maytag washer with instructions in English (didn´t even need the instructions, I know how to work this one!).

I as sitting in the bar eating a piece of quiche and having a glass of wine while I write this. My clothes should be finished washing. I better go get them just in case someone else needs to use the washer.

Can you believe it! Left toilet paper in my pocket!! My clothes are a mess! Again, should have washed by hand (on the bright side - they do smell nice).

Cannot key this into my blog because computer ¨No Functiona¨. Will go have a glass of Sangria (yes Tammy, the real stuff - with fruit no less) then to bed by 8:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment