Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sept. 28, 2010 - Villafranca del Bierzo to La Faba

Was very quiet, dark and warm in the albergue but still couldn´t fall asleep, too many things going around in my head. However, I did feel well rested and was ready to leave by 7:30.

It was a beautiful walk. Actually followed the Rio Valcarce (river) for the whole 23 km that I walked today. Was alone for the first hour. The river flowing downstream on one side and the wall of the mountain on the other side was awesome. Again, wish I had words to describe it. The only thing I could think of is this must be what heaven is like.

Walked and chatted with Dixie from Alaska for about 10 km. Told her I have always wanted to go to Alaska and she invited me to stay at her place. They stopped for a break but I kept going because I really wanted to get to O´Cebreiro today. Didn´t make it though. The last 4 km to La Faba was very steep. Couldn´t have taken another step if someone paid me. The hospitalaro said the next 5 km are even harder so it is better to start again after a good night´s rest.

Know quite a few people here, some of whom I haven´t seen for a couple of weeks. Ate dinner (at 5:00!) with Riette from Holland and Leona from Australia.

There was a monk in the village who is going to do vespers with us in the chapel beside the albergue at 8:00. Had to go get my laundry put away after dinner so the I could have an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment