Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oct. 2, 2010 - Montras to Palas de Rei

Can't believe I slept till 7:00, especially since I slept for 2 hours before I ate dinner last night. I slept for 9 solid hours. Had breakfast at the bar (real toast with butter & jam with pineapple juice and cafe con leche - breakfast fit for a King!). I left just shortly after 7:30.

Sun wasn't up yet. Walking through the enchanted forest in the dark was kind of eerie, but it was invigorating. The sun rise was beautiful. In one direction the clouds were dark and it looked like it was about to rain, and in the other direction they were pink and orange. Cat Steven's song "Morning Has Broken" kept going through my mind. I felt like I should be whistling, but it didn't sound anything like it was suppose to, so I just hummed. The song stuck with me all day.

When I got to Portomarin  I totally wished I had my camera! The bridge walking into Portomarin was so high my stomach kept doing flip flops (I don't normally have a problem with heights). In the 1950's Portomarin was moved when they dammed the Mino River because they built a hydro electric dam and the original city was flooded. There was hardly any water and you could see the ruins of the city. I stood for a long time just spell bound.

After Portomarin the scenery changed but it was still a pleasant walk. About an hour before I reached where I am staying, I stopped at a bar for a break. There was a guy from Madrid who I have run into several times in the last couple of days. He just started walking 3 days ago. He said he thought the walk today was very boring. I didn't really know what to say other than I was enjoying it very much. I left there with the words to "Morning Has Broken" still going through my mind.

It was about 3:30 when I got to Pasas de Rei. I splurged and rented a "cabin" which was just a room that looked like a cabin inside. It is simple but clean so it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment