Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sept. 27, 2010 - Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo

Slept later than usual but was still ready to go by 8:00. Steve was also ready but Heidi didn´t answer her door so we went for coffee. Steve then went to check the bus schedules and I started walking.

It was another beautiful walk through the vineyards in the mountains. Walked 26 km today.

Had a flyer for an albergue that was almost out of town. Halfway through the town, ran into Bart from Belgium. He was concerned that it was already after 3:00 and I wasn´t settled in anywhere yet. Told me he was staying at the municipal albergue and it was quite nice and I should go there. However, I wanted to check out the albergue on the flyer (besides the municipal albergue was a 20 minute walk back. Psychologically going back didn´t work for me). The albergue on the flyer turned out to be very nice ( 5 star for sure).

I knew almost everyone there. The albergue is built on the side of a rock and the rock spills over into the building, very unique. It was a 10 minute walk to the beach, so after getting settled I decided to check it out. It is very different from our beaches. It is on the river. There was a mini damn so that enough water could be held so a person could actually swim. The bottom was concrete. Soaked my feet for a bit. The water was cold, but felt good. Sat there for about an hour and a half before going to meet Dixie from Alaska and her friends Mary & Joe for dinner at 7:00.

Enjoyed dinner very much. Dixie, Mary & Joe all turned 70 this year and decided to celebrate by walking the camino. We chatted till almost 9:30 then had to rush back so we wouldn´t get locked out. Almost everyone was sleeping when we got back.

Another late night for a pilgrim.

No comments:

Post a Comment