Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oct. 6, 1920 - Santiago

Had to be out of my room by 9:30. Can't believe I slept till almost 9:00. I had to hustle.

Found my way back to the plaza by the Cathedral and the place where pilgrims can store their packs till I could find another place to stay. Had a quick breakfast then went to the Cathedral for 12:00 mass. Got there around 10:45 and found one of the last seats only because, with my pilgrim's pass, I didn't have to stand in the long line. Steve got there shortly after me and was able to squeeze in the bench. The one hour wait before service and the one hour of sitting through the service and not understanding anything was worth being able to go for communion and see the swinging of the botafumeiro one more time.

After mass we met Riete and Roger for lunch. We ran into Don and Mary Kay from Ottawa so all had lunch together. Kept seeing many of the people I had met in the last 5 weeks. It was so amazing to see everyone. Ran into Leona at the Cathedral. She did find her credential on the floor in the bar at the last place we stopped.

After lunch we all made plans to meet for dinner at 7:30 and went our own way. I found a hotel room close to the cathedral. It was nice to have a few minutes to myself and soak in the tub. Tried to sleep for a while but couldn't so I just walked around the shops looking at all the trinkets for sale.

Had a very nice dinner. Said goodbye to Steve again, which was very hard to do because this time I knew for sure I would never see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment