Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 29, 2010 - St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevallas

The refugio I stayed in was very nice (build in 1860). Looked almost medieval. There were 5 bunk beds. I was lucky enough to get a bottom bunk. Jo, a 20 year old from London slept in the top bunk. Also in our room was the couple from New Hampshire, a couple from Switzerland and 4 other ladies who I think were from France.

Jam bread and coffee were served at 6:30. Jo and I started walking just before 7:00. It was an uphill climb right from the start. After 10 min. I thought there is no way I can do this! I stopped for a break. Jo talked continually. She was starting to get annoying. I stopped every 10 min. I told her she didn´t have to wait, but she did anyway. When I started stopping to take pictures, she got annoyed. By this time I wanted to yell at her to just keep going. After awhile she finally did go on without me. It was then very peaceful, I could hear the birds.

I got to Orisson about 10:00. It took me 3 hours to walk 7.5 km. I didn´t know what to do. It seemed way to early to stop for the day, yet it was 18 km to Roncevallas. They did not have an internet so I would be sitting there doing nothing. Had a cup of coffee and chatted with a lady from New Zealand that used to live in B.C. About 11:00 I decided to cancel my reservation and go on to Roncevallas. Started walking with the lady from New Zealand. She told me it was ok to go ahead because she had bad knees and couldn´t walk very fast (she ended up getting to Roncevallas way before me!).

It was very difficult (1440 m. up). I probably should have stayed in Orisson. Halfway there was a French man in a van selling juice and fruit. He was marking the number of people going by and where they were from. He said I was the first person that day from Canada. He did have 3 people from Quebec. I told him it was the same country. He laughed. He actually thought I was joking. Shortly after that started the decline. It was a very steep decline. Going down was definitely not easier than going up!! Just before the decline there was a little stone hut where people could stop for a break. There were 2 French men who had stopped to make themselves some coffee. They invited me to join them. It was very nice of them and very much appreciated (I think they felt sorry for me, I must have looked pretty ruff). I got to Roncevalles shortly after 6:00 and I could hardly walk, my legs were like jelly (took 7 hours to walk 18 km). The refugio was full so I had to sleep in one of the trailers. It was sooo cold. Had to have a shower and wash my clothes in cold water. That night I slept in every piece of clothing I took with me except for the ones supposedly drying on the line.

1 comment: