Friday, August 13, 2010

How it came about that I should walk the Camino de Santiago

I first heard about the Camino de Santiago from a co-worker whose husband was planning on walking the camino 2 years ago. At first I just thought how interesting. Then I heard about it from a couple other people. I starting reading about it and watching youtube vidoes and I knew that this was something I had to do.

A few months ago I planned to walk downtown and back to build up endurance (16.8 km - a short walk). I thought I would go to the library to see if they had any new books on the camino then on to Hull's Book Store to see if they had any new books by one of my favorite authors (Joyce Rupp). The library did not have any books on the camino that I hadn't already read, so I left empty handed. I went on to Hulls. I saw that Joyce Rupp did in fact have a new book out called "Walk in a Relaxed Manner". I thought "how appropriate". When I picked it up and looked a little closer, I saw that she was writing about her experience while walking the Camino de Santiago. It kinda made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I think someone was trying to tell me something. Anyway, it is a very good book - I read it a couple of times, some parts even three or four times.

Initially I did not intend to do a blog. However, so many people asked to keep in touch by email or phone, so I thought I would just write a blog and send out the url and if people want to know where I was they could follow the blog (I will try very hard to keep it up).

I will be leaving Winnipeg Thurs. Aug. 26th. That is less than two weeks away. When I started talking about it two years ago, it seemed so far away, it is hard to believe that the time has come to actually go.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like serendipity at work. Safe journey, Doreen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip and enjoy your journey. I think I will miss you most :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got the book - thanks. Now I can imagine where you may be at and what you may be seeing. Hope its going well. God Bless! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete