Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 27, 2010 - Madrid

Very frustrating not being able to understand the language. Bought a bus ticket to Pamplona. Misunderstood the instructions. Thought the bus left terminal 4 at 11:15, however was supposed to take the shuttle to terminal 4 where I was to catch the bus at 11:15, so I had to buy another ticket. Next bus didn`t leave till 3:15.

While I was waiting for the bus, Gaston from Brazil and Gerhart from Germany came along. Gaston was booked on another bus but Gerhart was also going to Pamplona on the same bus as I was taking. He spoke English very well and we talked all the way to Pamplona (5 hours). This is the 2nd time he walked the camino. He shared his lunch with me which was very good and the healthiest meal I had in 2 days. Before he came along I was starting to think maybe this wasn´t such a good idea but he reminded me that on the Camino, God provided what you needed when you needed it. He helped me find one of the albergue/refugios. There was a festival in the street, a German band was playing umpapa music and people were dancing and drinking wine. He said it was a grand welcome on my first night -- and so it was! I didn´t have to wash my clothes by hand because this refugio actually has a washer and dryer.

The court yard I am sitting in writing this looks really spooky, but it is very peaceful and it is a very beautiful evening. After awhile a guy came out. He was looking for a light switch because he didn`t want to sit in the dark. I saw a square button that looked similar to the light switch beside my bed. I told him maybe that was it, so he pressed it. It actually set off an alarm and scarred the shit out of both of us. We laughed and he accused me of telling everyone to press the button just to see their reaction.

It was almost 11:00 and I figured I better go hang up my clothes and go to bed. However, the washer was still washing. It had been 1 and a half hours since I start it. I obviously didn´t do something right. I had never seen a washer like this before and the instructions were in Spanish. Ended up taking my clothes out and ringing them by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment